Welcome to the page that discusses Put Options

I want to start this blog by telling you that I have no 1-800 number, I am not trying to sell you any newsletter with the next great stock idea. I am not inviting you to come to my house and view a cleaning agent. I will not try to sell you plastic bowls or any other ‘can’t miss’ ideas. I do not have any life changing secrets and I cannot promise you a flat stomach.



I am going to share with you my daily option moves and the reasons behind them. My way of trading options are of course not the only way to utilize Put Options. This is a way that I have found to be simple and easy and not as complicated as some make this business. My hope is that you can develop a steady stream of income and continue to enjoy your life.











Saturday, February 19, 2011

March Options

HI all, a few days ago I posted a list of the stocks that I was considering for the coming month. I want to add that the way I finalize my choices is to wait until Monday morning. If the mkt is down a fair amount I do not make a trade. Even if my stocks are somewhat positive. I also take in some feeling for the world market. If things are getting worse in the Mid-East I will either hold up on my trades or settle back for a smaller percent gain at the opening. Which of course means more cushion.
Also I hardly ever open a position with the stock falling, while I am trying to decide. Most of these points are intuitive but you can blind yourself to obvious facts without seeing or believing the writing on the wall.
When I look back 10-11 years ago and I lost roughly 1.5 million I wonder how I was blinded to the obvious. You can and I did, fall into the trap of thinking this stock has to be better.. Or this stock cannot fall any lower.
Also the worst the situation gets the more bad choices you start making. To try to recoup the losses you move the strike closer and of course in a falling market, that just magnifies the losses.
These are some of the reasons I am always stressing safety.
Enough preaching today. Just trade safe and smart and options can be a viable tool.
Jerry

9 comments:

Nicky said...

I'm looking at TTWO for March.

Raging Bull Winkle said...

Jerry why do you like WLT ? They missed by .23 on the 14th.

Selling Put Options said...

Nicky, TTWO might open down around 15% So check before making a move.
Gary; Well I liked WLT a lot more before Fridays drop...lol But there are some positives about it.
1. in 08--09--10 it missed its 4th qt estimates. all other qtrs it beat. So this is a slower time for them traditionally.
2 last year it made around 2.55 annual this year over 7.61
3. none of the analyst i look at recommend a sell.
4. Their coal is prized stuff for steel making and they export most to growing countries.

But all in all I will not use them if they continue to drop. The list is my starting point to come to some final choices.

Raging Bull Winkle said...

Ever one that has ThinkorSwim if you missed it under the chat / seminars tab check out Fridays Wallstreet Wrap up.
Tom is and allway will be a bear but he dose make some great points about this market.

"they cut the head off the king" (AAPL) how long can the body stand?....LOL

Unknown said...

Jerry,Watching Europe and gold this morning do you think of waiting a couple of days or will you make your moves tomorrow. To Gary's note.
Apple has its annual meeting on Wednesday and there is a push on for more transparency on a post Jobs succession plan. I might buy some extra short term puts to protect my covered call position.

doctorali said...

jerry,just wondering how long did it take you to recoup all the loss u had during NASDAQ crash

newportnewsva said...

The DJ EURO STOXX 50 is looking pretty ugly coming up on it's close - interesting to see what happens overnight & premarket.

Hampton said...

For anyone considering or holding a position on FSLR, here's some Bloomberg news which, if accurate, could put your position SOOC. (Seriously Out Of Cushion)

"First Solar Inc. (FSLR US): The world’s largest maker of thin-film solar power may fall as much as 25 percent if Italy cuts subsidies for solar-power development after demand to participate overwhelmed its target, Barron’s reported, citing analysts’ estimates."

Selling Put Options said...

Kite, I will wait for a couple of days to see if it settles down. There is never a hurry. Be patient.
Doc, I have not made up all the loss. Being a little more conservative and withdrawing funds here and there has prevented me from a total comeback. But the days of pushing for every penny and not having as much fun are in my past.
Hampton, thanks for the heads up on FSLR. I like some solar stocks but just as a momentum play. I don't really have much faith in solar as we now know it.