Welcome to the page that discusses Put Options

I want to start this blog by telling you that I have no 1-800 number, I am not trying to sell you any newsletter with the next great stock idea. I am not inviting you to come to my house and view a cleaning agent. I will not try to sell you plastic bowls or any other ‘can’t miss’ ideas. I do not have any life changing secrets and I cannot promise you a flat stomach.



I am going to share with you my daily option moves and the reasons behind them. My way of trading options are of course not the only way to utilize Put Options. This is a way that I have found to be simple and easy and not as complicated as some make this business. My hope is that you can develop a steady stream of income and continue to enjoy your life.











Friday, October 22, 2010

Todays moves and the why.

This morning I sold some puts on two different stocks and each with a different expiration date
1. with NFLX (Net-flix) trading around 169 I sold 30 of the Nov. 19, 125 strike I received 1195 for a return of a little over 3%
2. I also sold some AAPL (apple) puts with an expiration in one week
10-29-2010. With AAPL trading around 307 I sold 20 of the 280 strike. I received 340.
Rational behind the moves.
1. With NFLX trading around 169 I sold the 125 puts. These expire in a month so there is some waiting with this position. My plan is to roll up (move to a higher strike) as the time factor withers away. I feel with NFLX just reporting great earnings, they won't fall 44 points during the month.
2.With the AAPL puts, the return isn't super but I can do that (or better) each week all year. With AAPL trading around 307 and just reporting great earnings, I don't think that it will fall 27points during the coming week.
On Monday when the weekend shakes out, I will try to find some more moves that both bring in some income and let me sleep at night (or day)
Good trading all

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jerry,

After nflx posted great earnings,i see that you opened a position today as oppose to yesterday... What is your reasoning behind this move? I sold options yesterday, however it seems like I would have received more of a premium today if I had waited a day. Thanks

Selling Put Options said...

The main reason for waiting was to let earnings come in from AMZN. There were a few others reporting and I didn't want to jump in to soon. As I've mentioned, I fight the patience problem so I forced myself to wait out this volatile time. I am Waiting for Monday to sell some more if there are positions out there that I like and feel safe with. Thanks for the question.
Jerry