Welcome to the page that discusses Put Options

I want to start this blog by telling you that I have no 1-800 number, I am not trying to sell you any newsletter with the next great stock idea. I am not inviting you to come to my house and view a cleaning agent. I will not try to sell you plastic bowls or any other ‘can’t miss’ ideas. I do not have any life changing secrets and I cannot promise you a flat stomach.



I am going to share with you my daily option moves and the reasons behind them. My way of trading options are of course not the only way to utilize Put Options. This is a way that I have found to be simple and easy and not as complicated as some make this business. My hope is that you can develop a steady stream of income and continue to enjoy your life.











Wednesday, November 17, 2010

todays results

Well, as I said, I put in an order before the opening for .40 for the AMZN puts. The order was ignored...lol. The premium was dropping fast as AMZN was ticking up. So instead of chasing the premium and always being behind the curve, I just put in an order for At The Market. These went through at .27. These puts need approximately 25.02 each for maintenance. This equals a profit of a tad over 1% for three days.
*A quick perspective on profits.
I am on a BOD for a home owners association. We have extra funds in our reserve account that require safety and this results in us depositing our funds in MMKT accounts. While searching for some rates with local banks yesterday, I found that a common rate is .9% for a year. So with my private account when i can get over 1% in three days, you've gotta like that.
I am often asked, how I can be happy getting only premiums such as today's .27. I try to keep the perspective that end results are what count.
If I can trade and maintain around 3% MONTHLY, I am a happy camper. As I say in my book, "I just continue to pick up the crumbs around the table."
Good trading all.

5 comments:

Glenn said...

Those 150s you sold at .27 are down 50% after a few hours. Wish I could have gotten in but not enough spare capital for the margin. Margin is much higher when these are close to the money. I guess I could do a put spread but that leaves me with very small premium. Oh well, it's been a good month at about 6% so how can I complain?

Selling Put Options said...

good for you Glenn. a great profit for the month. Try to avoid the mind set that you are bullet proof. After 13 years I still fall into that mode without even being aware of it. Slowly risk analysis falls to the side and you can start making trades that put several months profits in jeopardy.
Jer

fishchampion said...

i sold calls on the netflix several times since you left town and net about 1200 dollars with a huge safety cushion on weeklies.. very good play

Selling Put Options said...

good plays. In a down mkt or one that is treading water, naked calls work as well as nakeed puts. As I mentioned to Glenn above, continue trading but maintain caution and safety and money is nearly free...

Glenn said...

Agreed on the comment about overconfidence. Usually results in bad decisions. This month was good but last month was rough.